The castle of Lanjarón, locally known as Castillo de los Moros, is a small medieval fortress located about four hundred meters from the town of the same name in the province of Granada, autonomous community of Andalusia, Spain.
It rises, dominating the valley of the Lanjarón river, next to the Salado ravine, on a rocky promontory isolated to the south and below the population. It is at 619 meters above sea level at the geographic coordinates of 36 ° 54’53.15 “N 3 ° 29’20.12” O Coordinates: 36 ° 54’53.15 “N 3 ° 29’20.12” O (map). Of irregular plant, adapted to the inequalities of the rock on which it rises, it is formed by two enclosures of which some small cloths of the outer wall are conserved, very deteriorated, with indications of a tower; a bastion of square plant, of masonry in its low part and of tapial more above, located to the south of the set and an underground cistern of 5,25 x 2,60 m, covered with a vault of masonry and mortar that contains rest of demolition of the castle itself that prevent to specify its depth.
Dated in Nazarite and Christian times, between the thirteenth and sixteenth centuries, its construction would have taken place in the reigns of Yusuf I or his son Mohammad V, within the defensive program developed in the kingdom by both sultans, with a similar invoice to that of other castles of the same period as those of Restábal, Mondújar or Moclín, although the preserved remains are mostly from the Christian era.
From remote times, even prehistoric, the enclave should have a high strategic value to dominate important access roads to Sierra Nevada and La Alpujarra. This was understood by Ferdinand II, who took possession of the fortress in 1494, appointed mayors and garrison instead of ordering its destruction as he did with other castles in the area. At the time of the rebellion of the Moriscos it was already very deteriorated, and from then on the gradual abandonment of the fortress began which has not returned to have military utility.
As a castle of Spain, it was protected by decree of April 22, 1949 and since June 22, 1993 it is classified as an Asset of Cultural Interest with category of monument. In 2007, restoration works have been carried out financed by the Ministry of Public Works and the City of Lanjarón.